Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Our Most Valuable Resource as Educators - Each Other

As I get ready to begin my 30th year in the education profession, I look back and reflect on the most valuable resource and gift we have as educators - Each Other.  It is so important that we collaborate, share, and work as a team.  We expect this from the students we have the privilege of teaching each day, so it is important we are being role models. They are observant and know when we are truly "Walking the Talk".


Author Unknown

I learned some of my most valuable lessons in my first few years of teaching.  I was blessed to begin my career in a building where three of the most amazing educators became my mentors and friends.  They were there for me each time I felt like I failed my students, (which was often) and cheered me on when successes were celebrated. They were my biggest advocates and loudest cheerleaders.  Never once did I feel like I was being judged for my failures or successes. It is not surprising that two became building administrators and the other the director of counseling services.


Robert John Meehan

As teachers, I feel sometimes we are often our own worse critics. Our job is more challenging than ever and many days are emotionally draining.  Do I feel the profession has changed over the years, honestly, at times my answer is "Yes". Teaching has never been about competing, judging others, or talking negatively behind each others' backs. Involving parents in these conversations is also not what our profession is about.  I realize we are all different, and we may not be "friends" with all our colleagues, but I believe there needs to be mutual respect, kindness, and professionalism.  


Dave Willis


Let's be there to listen, support, and encourage one another.  Not only for our students, but for each other. As Learners Together...

Listen
Encourage
Accept Differences
Respectful
Nonjudgmental
Empower Each Other
Relationships (What Teaching is all About) 
Supportive


I am excited as I begin my journey into another school year. As Rita Pierson stated in her TED Talk "Is this job tough? You betcha! Oh God, you betcha. But it is not impossible. We can do this. We're educators. We're born to make a difference."  

Celebrate Each Other
Edmunds Lee


Be There for Each Other 
Nelson Mandela

Take Chances Together
Author Unknown

Celebrate Differences


Laugh Together and Enjoy the Moment 
Ralph Waldo Emerson



My tech coach +Ann Feldmann sums it up perfectly! #BetterTogether

No comments:

Post a Comment